Saturday, April 16, 2011

The great adventure that is social media: Why do you blog?


When I first got into blogging it was more about having an online scrapbook than having a voice. After many failed attempts at keeping up with this lovely blog I finally realized why I was failing, I wasn’t interested. More aptly put I was bored with myself!

My posts were lacking, they didn’t tell you anything about me, only about what I did (and not very well). I was very busy (like all moms) and I just didn’t care enough to really DO it.

As you know I live in a SMALL town. I grew up with the same people my whole life. I learned to drive on the street where I now live, my mom lives 5 miles away, my aunt 3 miles. I shop at the same stores I always have, blah, blah, you get the idea. The key to this little explanation is that while I stayed here, most of my friends did not. I’ve grown away from those I spent the better part of my life growing closer to. My support systems have shifted and shrunk.


I don’t remember how I came to understand the power of the online blogging community but I realized that my blog is more than just an online scrapbook; it was/is a connection. A link to the world outside of my small town, a link to a support system, a support system of other moms (and dads), crafters and interesting people everywhere who understand!

I’m not the only person in the world who has had to fish her keys out of the toilet after a toddler has been playing basketball with them, and through this blog I can connect with understanding people everywhere and build my global community.

This is why I blog, why I put my whole life (even and especially the embarrassing stuff) out there, because I know someone will understand, laugh and play along with me as I continue on this awkward adventure.
My hope for the future is that I will have more time to devote to interacting with other Momma Bloggers, Crafty Bloggers and “Other”.

I have a lot of new interests I want to share with you in 2011 so I hope you all stick around for the ride.

No comments: