Monday, May 9, 2011

These pictures were NOT taken on Mother's Day

1997, the year I graduated high school.
I had a car,
lots of friends,
an acceptance letter to Lyndon State College (major: English),
a job at the mall,
in short for an 18 year old, I had it all.

I REMEMBER being 18. LIKE. IT. WAS. YESTERDAY.
I remember staying up all night, and still being able to function the next day,
I remember moving into my first apartment, with roommates (NOT MOMS),
I remember dressing in a size that didn't have 2 digits,
I remember being CAREFREE.
I remember saying "I am NEVER having kids"

I thought kids meant
poop, pee, vomit, screaming, crying, embarrassment, being trapped, soccer hair, minivans and other unmentionables.

For the most part, my 18 year old self was right on the money, what she FORGOT to mention was it also meant
a million special moments,
a billion sweet hellos,
a zillion laughs, smiles, giggles
2 cute baby tummies, 4 sweet cheeks, tons of cutie curls
and the 2 most special kids a girl could ever want.

and all that other stuff?
It wont matter anymore.
It won't matter that my children will one day throw fits in grocery stores, tell me they hate me, throw pudding at strangers in a restaurant, puke in the back seat of my car (twice in the same day) or require a super short and unflattering haircut to avoid hair pulling.


I wish I could tell my 18 year old self that

You won't care about crawling around on a gym floor to take off your 12 year old's toenail polish  as she is getting ready for a dance recital, because SHE IS BEAUTIFUL, AND GRACEFUL AND SO TALENTED and she makes you PROUD.


You wont care about playing trains  in the middle of a bookstore to keep your destructive 2 year old busy while everyone else shops, because SHE IS CUTE AND CUDDLY AND SWEET and she makes you LAUGH.


You wont care about all the things you thought because these faces will look at you everyday and tell you they love you, even when they tell you they hate you. and you couldn't be happier.

I LOVE YOU LADIES, THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS MOTHERS DAY AND EVERY OTHER DAY A DAY TO BE HAPPY TO HAVE YOU IN MY LIFE.

No comments: